Part-Time Survivor Engagement Specialist
Type: Part time, 10 – 15 hours per week
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Our mission is to advocate and empower survivors and ensure the survivor voice is represented in prevention, policy, service provision and offender accountability.
Survivors Rising was created by a small group of survivors who are passionate about supporting positive change. We recognized the need for advocacy, education and survivor engagement in the community.
Our three areas of focus include: peer-mentorship, education, and policy and legislation.
Survivors Rising is committed to welcoming, including, and representing survivors of sex trafficking, sexual exploitation, dating/domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking.
Survivors Rising is a survivor-led organization. We are in a transition and growth stage. Our organizational growth and expanded peer leadership efforts depend on having a dedicated, effective Survivor Engagement Specialist focused on survivor outreach and engagement.
The Survivor Engagement Specialist position will work with, and under the direction of, the Executive Director to utilize their lived survivor experience to engage other survivors in the community. The position is responsible for developing and implementing survivor engagement and outreach efforts, and coordinating survivor projects and activities. The Survivor Engagement Specialist will also be involved in event planning and coordination of legislative activities.
- Meet with individual survivors and groups of survivors to understand and document the current needs and perspectives of survivors; their goals, challenges, and priorities.
- Identify and document gaps and unmet survivor needs.
- Develop an annual Survivor Engagement Plan emphasizing survivor mentorship, Speaker’s Bureau activities and other relevant community education programs, and supporting policy and legislation objectives.
- Organize, coordinate and host activities outlined in the annual Survivor Engagement Plan.
- Assist with the recruitment of survivors for the Speaker’s Bureau Training.
- Coordinate logistics for Speakers Bureau training programs.
- Coordinate requests for survivor testimony and comment for the Nebraska Legislature and other policy-making bodies.
- Collect survivor input on issues for future legislative consideration.
- Establish and maintain new and existing referral and peer relationships within survivor responder network.
- Work collaboratively with Women’s Fund Circles, MADVAC, the WCA and other community organizations to develop events and programming that encourages and supports survivor voice and leadership.
- Collaborate with partner organizations on public awareness and prevention campaigns.
- Respond to community agency requests for survivor input.
- Attend monthly Community Case Consultations and quarterly Community of Practice meetings, as schedule permits.
- Maintain and update confidential survivor contact and participation spreadsheets and databases.
- Contribute to internal and external Survivors Rising communications, including e-mail newsletters, website, social media.
- Develop and manage budget related to activities in the annual Survivor Engagement Plan.
- Assist and support the Executive Director with other administrative duties as assigned.
- Survivors Rising values lived experience as expertise.
- A high school degree/GED required; Post-secondary education preferred.
- Demonstrated successful full or part-time, paid or voluntary work experience within the last twelve months.
- Strong interest in advancing Survivors Rising’s mission and programs.
- Self-starter with excellent communication, organizational and time management abilities.
- Solid computer skills needed to generate correspondence, reports and maintain databases.
- Strong organizational skills to include the ability to plan and manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to relate to and engage diverse populations of survivors, volunteers and community members.
- Ability to prioritize and respond to requests from survivors, staff, committees and the community-at-large in a timely manner and to handle urgent requests appropriately.
- Willingness to work independently.
- Ability to maintain a non-traditional, flexible work schedule.
- Awareness of compassion fatigue and understanding of the importance of personal self-care.
Part-time position equivalent to 10-15 hours/week. This position requires evening and weekend availability.
is a work from home position.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter by Fri., Jan. 4, 2019 to:
Survivors Rising Executive Director
Survivors Rising is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)